thread cutter so I m going to have a hard time bringing up the thread tail. If you don t know what I m talking about though, what you can always do

Similar documents
bit of time. Turn on some music like I do when I m quilting. So you enjoy what we ve got going on here.

This little piece here I created is some of the scraps and then samples I was making for today s show. And these are wonderful for doing like

it falls off while you re stitching, you will probably not get the best results. And you might even say some negative words, so. But anyways, just be

construction? I use a lot of construction terms. Hips and valleys comes from roofing actually. And there we go, just like that. Nice and easy, right?

we re doing all of the background, then we stop. We put on the borders and then we come back and we ll finish out the eagle.

So what we re going to do, we re going to prepare to put these together right sides. So right now the interfacing is on my cutting mat. And it is faci

corner. And this is why I wanted you to make sure you really liked your seams before you moved on.

So I m just going to line up my needle on the seam. And mine aren t perfect. And I don t die over it. I just do the best I can. And see you just keep

Sew a Yoga Mat Bag with Ashley Nickels

Original Recipe. Flying in Squares Quilt by Melissa Corry

just going to sew your squares together and make a row. And let me show you what that looks like. Ok, so here we have this. And here is this row that

back to the state that it was in when it was last cool. So right now I m telling you this to stall, kill a little bit of time because I want this to g

through all your theme fabrics. So I told you you needed four half yards: the dark, the two mediums, and the light. Now that you have the dark in your

know you ve got your little three piece where they re all hooked together. I m going to take my next three piece, make sure that I don t have anything

Bound and Determined:

our strips. So it made really good use of this roll up. So we hope you enjoyed this tutorial on the Stair Step block from the MSQC.

Damask Pillow. Damask.

The 5.25 (5 ¼ ) square will be cut on diagonals to form 4 triangles as shown Cut your B square like this: Again cut the 5 ¼ block into four triangles

Scooter Strips Wall Hanging

TUTORIAL: the Hobo Sack

This quilt/project finishes at 50" x 58".

Machine Quilting. Hand Quilting

Quilt Instructions for the Beginner

Owyhee County 4-H. Cloverbud. Activity Book

Original Recipe. Glace Forever Quilt by Nicole Willmore

Getting Started. Supplies 11 fat quarters of Robert Kaufman Girl Scouts Fabric Collection (two must be the same) 1-2/3 yards backing 45 x 60 batting

Lesson 5 The Appliqué Stitch and an Outer Curve

Binding Basics. will help you get perfect corners on your binding. 2 Quilting Celebrations Winter

Hot Pads with Ribbon & Decorative Stitch Accents

FMQ Lesson #1 EXTRA FMQ RESOURCES. Summary of Video Lessons. Blogs/Websites. FMQ Books SKILL LEVEL. Inspiration

Patchwork Trivets with Circular Quilting

30-Minute Neck Pillows: Go Back-to-School in Style

Original Recipe. Original Recipe can be found at

So once you get your 12 pieces sewn together, that s going to give you the width for your background fabric. And then I went ahead and sewed 8 half ch

ScrapBusters: Hot Dots Pinwheel Coasters

Soft & Stuffable Fabric Shopping Bags

Lap Quilt. Project Needs & Notes:

Soft & Stuffable Fabric Shopping Bags: Shop Pretty

Stained Glass Block Mini Quilt By Joanna Marsh

Medical Play Doll Hospital Gown

here and a block, right here. You ll sew this block onto here and you ll put this whole strip across the middle, just like that.

Haul It Floor Cushions

Sewing Roll. Base Fabric. Base Fabric. Third Fabric. Second Fabric (Bottom Pockets) Pockets)

MICKEY DEPRE.

Intro to Sewing Coats: Chloe Coat. Chloe Coat. sizes 8-20

The Basics of Longarm Quilting

SUPPLIES. OTHER SUPPLIES Marking pen Masking tape Aleene s Stop Fraying Toothpick Basic sewing supplies (See Tools link at

Unleash your creativity.

Color Wheel Patchwork Tree Skirt

Quilting with Embroidery Designs

Jenny: Hi I m Jenny from the Missouri Star Quilt Company and I m here with Stephen. Every place I go, everybody always asks me, When are you going to

Cut 1 lightweight interfacing

2016 Courtesy of Art Gallery Quilts LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Sweet Nothings ipad Carrier Bag

Brother PQ- Series Accessories

Are you ready to play with wool? It s too fun!

Winner Designs Get a Grip Half Hexie Templates

janomeflyer.com Creative color me Join us!

week ONE Sewing 101 Getting Familiar with your Sewing Machine NOTES TO THE ADULTS #janomecamp18 Page 1

{ FEATURING PARADISE COLLECTION}

Fleece Scarf with Zippered Pocket

Mini Charm Square Patchwork Placemats

Quick Oven Mitts. We n d y. s H a n d. a d e Q u ilts - M. Quilting and Craft Patterns Difficulty: Advanced Beginner

Hi, I m Jenny from the MSQC. And I am here today with Lisa Hirsch from the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild. Jenny: Welcome Lisa.

Original Recipe. Windy Days Quilt by Sarah Meyer

Apparel Design & Production 2 Boxie Pouch Grading Sheet

Summer Picnic Blanket

Monkey Wrench Sue and Sam

The Little Bow Zipper Wallet PDF Pattern

Sewing Notion Essentials

Christmas Quilt. Skill Level: Easy. Created by: Diane Kron, Software and Embroidery Project Manager

Quilt Basics - Piecing Quilt Blocks by Machine Part 4B of 5

Braided Dog Coat. So, here we go. What you need: 15 Jelly roll strips 3x44 (Cut in half) 1 Fat quarter. 10inch length of 1 wide Velcro

Photo location courtesy of Judith Batty. McCallsQuilting.com McCall s Quick Quilts 1

Good Gifts for Guys: Fleece Scarf with Zippered Pocket

Tutorial. Supplies. Taggies are great, easy, baby gifts. Start by picking 2

Not so Top Secret Project

PLANNER COVER BY SARAH THOMAS OF SARIDITTY

Freezer Paper Piecing with Tara Faughnan

Braids the Lazy Quilter Way

Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Beaded Pumpkins Tutorial with Sparkle by Monica

Coveted Corners My tip for perfecting the corners of your bindings.

SUPPLIES OTHER SUPPLIES Carson 10 Teddy Bear Pattern

Rag Quilt Stamper s Tote Designed By: Carrie Rhoades January 2012

SMART ELEGANT SOPHISTICATED

Horizon Memory Craft Quilt Maker New Owner Lesson

Union Jack Variation Free Pattern Approximately 75-3/8 x 57

Relaxing, Therapeutic Neck Pillows-A Fan Favorite!

1. Locate the pattern on the

Machine Quilting Confidence Developed and Taught by Pat Kerko

Original Recipe. Take It All Tote by Melissa Corry

Pinafore Pillow Jacket

Project #4: Tooth Fairy Pillow

SCHOOL of. Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together. SEWING SHEA H ENDERS ON

MabeWithLove.WordPress.com

Materials for Peppermint Candy Pillow

Pictorial Guide to Back Basting

Artsy Bag. materials and tools. materials and tools

DIY Tote Bag: Kraft Tex Paper. DIY: Kraft-Tex Paper Fabric Tote Bag

Transcription:

I ve been thinking of a new nickname for myself. I m not quite sure what to use but I like the concept of the fearless quilter. And why am I fearless? Two reasons: 1. is I know there will be other quilts down the road that will be better and 2. because I also believe that with each and every stitch I m improving and I m dying to share with you today some cool skills and drills to get you into some free motion machine quilting on like some flames and like some disco dot kind of clamshells. So follow along. If you ve never free motion machine quilted before I have to warn you, you will break thread, you will break needles, you will skip stitches, you will shred your threads. And there is a reason why and a lot of it relates to the way your machine is set up and your body mechanics. So we ve got a really cool quick tips video that really explains in detail what we ve done with our little compass for quilters here. That talks about the way you can control your body mechanics to help you prevent some of those things. Now like I said it happens to all of us, me included. But as I continue to practice, I continue to improve. So today s skills and drills is going to be working through some flames. Check these out. Here. I m going to teach you how to do these flames. And I don t even know what to call this stuff but I absolutely love it. It s like a clamshell and a swirl and a disco dot all at the same time. And it really focuses on being able to make a nice arc and a sharp point. So we have other tutorials out there that will work you through some of those basics. Now in the description below we have a couple of printouts you can use. This shows how to use both a soft curve and a sharp curve. And that s going to be really important for our flames. And then I also have a really fun one here that is kind of like rainbows gone wild. Maybe that will be the new name of the motif, right? So I m going to teach you how to make that. But I want to point out real quick. The little triangles are showing you the motion in which you would be stitching or tracing these so that you can practice the skill. And the key to this one in specific is being able to make a sharp point and then a wide point. And I m going to walk you through that here at the machine in just a second. So first thing we want to do is we want to go ahead and ourselves, oh let s get ourselves a fresh sandwich for that matter because I want to be able to show you this stuff as we move along here. Now a lot of you have been practicing your basic curved motion and that s really important here. And I m sliding on my gloves. These are the Machinger s gloves that have a nice grippy tip in the finger so it s going to give me the opportunity to control the quilt sandwich with my finger tips, not gripping it and squeezing it, causing my body to fatigue, right? And we are starting on this basic little sandwich but I m going to show you how to do this on a big quilt here in a

moment as well. I m going to make sure my presser foot is down, my feed dogs are down. I have a cool Sew Slip mat which makes the bed of my machine like butter. And first of all we re going to start down at the bottom where all, remember we re starting on flames. So I m starting down here at the bottom. I ve used a thread cutter so I m just going to take a few stitches in place to lock in that thread. I need to trim the tail on that on the back later on. And now I m going to come up here like I m in my soft arc. And the first thing I want to point out is when you re doing arcs, is it s difficult to find a good start and stop point so flames, the tip where that point comes together is a really good place to stop if I need to trim threads, catch my breath, move my hands. So this is the beginning of our flame. And we re coming right back down. We ll follow that line of that sharp tip. And now we re doing our swirl. And the key is now I m coming above that first hook and almost the same direction, and again. One of the things I have found out for myself is that flames really require us to be able to stitch both left and right in kind of a uniform mode. So here I m going to come this way down from the bottom. Make a sharp curve on this side. And now I m going to follow that stitch. I m following that stitch line back around. And then I m going to break wide for another flame tip. Down at the bottom we re going to have a couple of small flames so that we can work our way towards our next big one. And we re going to come up here, another tip. And then like the real flames on a fire, of course they re never symmetrical from flame to flame. Now you can see my stitch length is nice right now it s a little harder for me to talk about it while I m doing it. But in order to get nice even stitches is a rhythm between our hand speed and the machine speed. So big stitches come from really fast hands. Small stitches come from really slow hands. And there s our machine coming all together, just like that. To the tip of the flame and there we have our flame for the very first time. I m going to use that thread cutter to pull it out. And there you can see from the top cam angle how uniform but asymmetrical the flames are. And I m just going to point out, there s the sharp point and the nice long arc. Now let s break down some of those disco swirls, the rainbows gone mad for you. Now for the rainbows gone wild, obviously still working on the name of this motif. The key is, as I was trying to point out earlier, is the sharp points and then keeping it wide as we come to the other side. It will make more sense as I m actually sewing it. But also a variety of sizes is what I really feel like and a variety of different directions. So this isn t going to be a real linear design. This is a great filler style motif. Where the flames are a great linear design if you re working on borders or in big blocks, something like that. So let s start talking about our rainbows gone wild. I think that s the name that s going to stick with us today here. And again for that, I ve used my

thread cutter so I m going to have a hard time bringing up the thread tail. If you don t know what I m talking about though, what you can always do is you can take a single stitch, drop your needle down, pull up slightly. Sometimes if you even move the thread, er excuse me, move your quilt just ever so lightly. I was able to get that bobbin tail there. So now I have both threads on the top there, which is really the best way to stop and start any of your free motion quilting because you can take a few stitches like this to lock it in place. And now I m just going to come into what will be a point so I can stop. And I can come back and trim out those thread tails like that. Now for this particular design, I usually start on a seam allowance between two blocks so that I have a good start and stop point for my first arch. I could run another arch through this if it was visually bothering me. So that now this becomes my arch. So now I m a point and I m coming back around and I m staying wide. But that becomes a point back around here to what would be wide and maybe another point. I seem to do these in a series of three different arches. And then from here I m going to go on to shape another direction. Oh I ve got this thread that s driving me nuts. That s how good the grip is on my gloves here. Now from here I m going to point. And you saw me on the first one going around the outside. I don t have to always go around the outside. You saw me jump to the inside here. But I still want that tip. And now I m going wide. And here s a cool trick if you ever have stitched yourself into a corner, watch. I m going to follow that motif I already designed back to a good way to get out of here. Now I m just going to start laying these down. I like the way this creates kind of a three dimensional look. And you ll also notice the pace of the machine here. I m running a little slower because I really want to keep a nice feeling of symmetry between that point and the wide side. The point and the wide side. And you can see I m starting to get kind of the same direction, er same size. So watch this I m just going to throw a big one out. And it s the loft that s left behind in the center that I m so attracted to. So getting big swoops and small swoops together really help the effect. And now that you re starting to get a feel for the design and a feel for the motif, let me pop my big quilt, that sampler quilt we ve been working on for a while, underneath the needle and show you what it s like on a big project. It s no more difficult, you just have a lot more fun space to work in. Oh and another great place, we re talking about starts and stops, this is a great place to stop right in here too. So if I was stopping, I could take a couple of stitches in place. And then I could either bring my needle all the way up and pull this. And if you look really close right here you can actually the white of my bobbin thread. So if I snip that knot, I ve actually freed the bobbin thread as well. So that s another neat trick to show you there. So that has a great start and a great stop on this particular piece. And so therefore all of my thread tails are on the top which is a much easier way to do the machine quilting. Now I m going to lift that presser foot up. Get everything out of the way.

And now we re going to take our sampler quilt. And I apologize there s no pattern for this quilt, yet. It s just a bunch of fun squares from other tutorials we ve done here at Man Sewing such as Three Dudes modified, or this is the Slice a Block right here, ok? And now I have worked this whole quilt I have been quilting on my Baby Lock Jane so that it s a legitimate test. And I m focusing just in one section of the quilt at a time. I ve quilted a lot of this over here. So even though I ve got it rolled with my bicycle clips still, I don t need the big roll in the machine right now because I just want to quilt in this area. Now if you look closely, it is one of my favorite motifs. So here you can see all of these swirls and the rainbows gone wild coming together. And a lot of times I actually use it to transition between other quilting motifs as well. So as I seated myself here, I m getting myself comfortable. A couple of other things I want to point out. I m working from the areas that I ve already been quilting in away from the center of the quilt. And because I ve quilted enough in this area, I m almost to the point where I can pop this safety pin out. The safety pin is holding all the layers together. And I do not want to quilt too close to that safety pin because of the fear of breaking the needle or the machine by hitting the pin. So for this let s do some micro flames just for fun in this gray area here. And then I m going to go right from the micro flames into the swirls. And you can just sit back and watch along. Here we go. Foot down. Taking a few stitches to lock in. I can pull that bobbin thread up and grab it real quick. And here we go. Stopping at the tip so that I can cut this thread tail so it s not part of the project for the rest of its life. And we re going to go into our micro flames. And a lot of the control right now is just coming out of my finger tips. So even though I have a twin size bed quilt on the bed of the machine, I am only moving a few inches worth of the quilt right now. So I m not feeling either overwhelmed mentally or physically. I will say though we shouldn t quilt past the point of fatigue. So if my shoulders or my neck was starting to really get sore, I would want to stop so that I m not making less than attractive stitches. Because once we fatigue, it s all going downhill from there for the rest of the day. So here I am playing with my micro flames, having a blast. But as I come down to this section maybe I want to get into those rainbows gone wild we re calling them. So I actually pulled off a circle out of that flame and now because those rainbows gone wild were on the other side, here we go again. I want a little bit bigger arc so I have my point. That s what I m talking about with a seam allowance. Back to my wide and here we go. I just absolutely love the zen that I find myself in when I m machine quilting. It s actually to a point where it s actually just difficult to talk about what I m doing. So I m just going to be quiet and let you enjoy the stitching for a few minutes here.

So for me in my art work and my design work as a quilt maker and a machine quilter, I love the curves. I love the swoops and the swirls. I think it adds a lot because I do a lot of patch work and there s straight lines there while I m working so I like the variety of what we re doing. Today s skill drills were really about again the flames and what the flames were important is I want you to start practicing being able to do what you do on one side being able to do it equal on the other. And I don t know that I nailed that information while we were dealing with it. But that s the key in the flames is being able to symmetrically be able to move on both sides of an imaginary straight line. And then again, the rainbows gone while, well does it get any better than that? Super fun, super easy. A great filler. Now make sure you print your printables out. You draw on top of them. You sew on top of them. Do whatever you ve got to do to get your skills built up so that we can keep playing along. And we ll see you next time at Man Sewing.